Christmas Gingerbread House

It was a few weeks before Christmas 2014, but it was still on it's way.
This entry is about the first gingerbread house I ever made.
I have always wanted to make a gingerbread house because when I have seen ones in shops they always look so pretty and yummy!
Our recipe was from BBC Food.
(Look below for link).
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4900/simple-gingerbread-house
It was great fun but really hard.
Warning: you may need a bag or two of flour for the dough is very sticky and hard to get under control!
I got my gingerbread house cutters as part of my advent calendar, I was very happy and couldn't wait to get started.
When my mum and I had a go we found kneading the dough was a nightmare because it was so STICKY!!!
Luckily we had made up a process where she would keep kneading and I would keep adding flour.
Even though this method worked, unfortunately there was flour everywhere!
I was very glad when this bit was over and had worked well because we had quite a few pieces that had to be thrown away due to being broken!
Finally the very floury white, unbroken bits of gingerbread house were ready to go in the oven alongside a few little gingerbread men, snowmen and Christmas trees.
                     About 15 minutes later....
The gingerbread pieces for the house were ready.
AT LAST!
                    The next day....
The pieces were ready to be put together.
We mixed up some icing using icing sugar and a little bit of water. We put it into a piping bag with a very small nozzle.
Now this was the tricky bit!
With my mum holding the pieces in place, I started to slowly ice them together hoping they wouldn't break or fall over!
When that process was finally over, we left it to dry overnight.
                    Yet another day later....
        
So the day had finally arrived that I got to decorate my gingerbread house!
Along with a few sprinkles, marshmallows, icing sugar, icing and a few other sweets and decorations, my gingerbread house was ready for it's makeover!
After leaving it another long night to set, the next morning it was finally ready!
                   The final day....
Now that my gingerbread house is dry and decorated, it is ready to go display!

Comments

  1. It looks great (and tasted even better :-)) I especially like the door know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should read "door knob"! Stupid autocorrect!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts