Tasting Menu - Tredwells Covent Garden







On the 2nd of June 2017, I went to Marcus Wareing’s “Tredwells” for my 12th birthday.
There I tried delectable cuisine from their Culinary Kids Tasting Menu. The Menu consisted of seven courses: a drink, a starter, three different main courses and two different desserts.
It was my first Tasting Menu and will set the standards for all to come.
Upon entering Tredwells, another one of Marcus Wareing’s famous restaurants, you are greeted by funky music, delicious food aromas and Treadwell’s warm, friendly staff.
Despite, Tredwells being a popular and busy place, their staff are always smiling and are on-hand to help to make sure you have the most enjoyable time. Tredwells also accommodates all ages, not just adults. For instance for those who order the Culinary Kids Tasting Menu, are taken into the kitchen to meet the chefs and prepare their own dessert.      


The drink that officially came with the Tasting Menu was a beetroot, apple & rhubarb cocktail.
If I’m being completely honest, I found it bitter, and didn’t enjoy it. However, I also found that the cocktail had a slight fruitiness to it and a few earthy notes.
Therefore, I also ordered another drink to accompany the cocktail. A pineapple mojito. Whilst it didn’t contain any alcohol (of course!), I found it sweet, exotic and delicious!

My first ‘official’ courses were; Chargrilled courgette soup, courgette fritter and an additional side of “music bread”.
Personally, I dislike soup, but much to my surprise, I found that I greatly enjoyed the Chargrilled courgette soup. It had a slight essence of spinach and sweet shallots throughout.
The courgette fritter was equally delicious. It was crispy on the outside and was absolutely bursting with flavour on the inside. However, the only let- down was that I found the courgettes inside of the fritter a little slimy.
The “music bread”, it turns out was actually a crispy, paper- thin cracker drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. These complemented the “bread” greatly, the vinegar giving bitter notes with a hint of sweetness.

The three mains were; Miso glazed aubergine with coconut mousse, roast beef salad with pickled mushrooms and rocket and crispy buttermilk chicken.
The miso glazed aubergines, whilst slippery in texture were incredibly flavoursome with a kick of spice. The coconut mousse worked well with the aubergines and was cooling and refreshing.
The flavour combinations in the roast beef salad, complemented each other well. The beef though under seasoned; was perfectly cut and cooked, and the mushrooms and rocket enhanced the flavour.
Whilst I found the coating a little too thick for my liking, the buttermilk chicken course was moist and tender and the coating crispy and flavoursome.
However, despite my few quibbles, I greatly enjoyed my main courses.


I have always been a lover of dessert.                                       
From baked goods to rich after dinner treats, dessert has always been my favourite course in any meal.
My desserts at Tredwells only strengthened this opinion.
The Valhona Caraibe chocolate and jasmine tea cream was rich with a mousse- like texture and the jasmine tea cream had interesting floral notes without being too overpowering.
Finally, the caramel soft scoop with honeycomb whilst rather sweet for my liking was very enjoyable and a perfect match for the crunchy honeycomb.

Tredwells consists of two dining rooms, one upstairs and one downstairs. Both are dimly lit with comfy booths and mirrored walls.The downstairs dining room, where I was seated, is next to the kitchen, so you get all the wonderful food smells, without having to leave your seat!

The Tasting Menu at Tredwells was very good value considering that it consisted of seven courses.
Cost: £19.00

I would recommend Tredwells to anyone who loves great food and wants to try something a little different.

Value for money ★★★★
Food ★★★★
Service ★★★★
Ambiance ★★★★


                                                                                                                                                                                                              
              



Comments

Popular Posts